Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Online Dating - Southern Hempishere edition: Jumping a bracket

It's back on, baby. The online dating escapades. The occassional thrills! The inevitable spills! The slightly hurtful bafflement of being rejected by three different men with three different automated responses in one evening: "Sorry, I'm overwhelmed with responses at the moment". "Sorry, I don't think we have enough in common". "Sorry, I may be on the cusp of 40 but I'm really looking for a supermodel aged 20-22, because I am a LAWYER".

Honestly, it's been ok so far. Similarly to my experience in the More Crowded Hemisphere, the online dating world in my experience is mostly full of nice people like myself, who are looking for a relationship but aren't in the habit of talking to strangers in bars (hello! Who does that?). The main difference between the site I used in the UK and the site I'm using here is the subscription fee; or lack thereof in the current case. It's literally a free-for-all. This concerns me a little, so I'm being quite discriminating about who I have contact with. Although, realistically? Psychopaths have money and addresses too, so I guess it probably doesn't make that much difference - I'm just working on the assumption that your average axe-killer would not want to give up their credit card details in case the detective on the case of MY MURDER discovers the electronic paper trail that leads back to said psycho.

Hmm. Well, I'm still here. FOR NOW.

I went on my first "Date" on the weekend (I don't classify the first meeting as a date, see here for more). We went ice-skating, at his suggestion. It was good fun, a bit silly, and reminded me of London. Aw! I hope I'll see him again, but I'm feeling quite relaxed about the process (the meds are helping with that). I have another coffee/milkshake meeting scheduled.

Of course, I've had those moments where a great weariness descends and I feel exhausted by the whole process; usually when an overweight, fifty-something trucker messages me to say "How about it?", or when you don't hear back from your awesome date first meeting. This isn't helped by the fact that sometime in the last 6 months I have skipped from the "could-be-late-twenties-on-a-good-day" bracket to the "definitely-in-her-mid-thirties" bracket. Sure, I scrub up pretty well, but there's no denying my age any longer - especially since I have lost weight (a nice layer of fat is nature's facelift).

But it's been mostly interesting and enjoyable so far. And eye-opening to boot - I was a little discriminatory towards my fellow aussies on my homecoming, I must admit. I'm ashamed to say I had fallen for the stereotype of the big, dumb, sports-obsessed aussie bloke versus the refined, well-read Englishman.

Current bogan hit-rate = 0 (discounting the trucker). Well played, Australian men.

4 comments:

kylie maree said...

Love it, totally get where you are coming from. It seems we have our own little club going...the 'I recently moved back to Australia, yes am over 30 and single, and willing to give online dating a go'

I gave up for a while but now am back on it and have actually found guys with common intersts (why are most of them rev headed afl loving bbq boys?) Nothing against them but after ten years of dating mainly European types it can be a little hard to get used to.

Good luck Miss Kelly, keep us posted on your adventures!

xxx

Anna said...

Dammit, I had a reply all typed up and Google/blogger screwed me.

Good luck and have fun with the online dating. I did, and I'll be giggling over the memories for decades to come.

My best mate met her boyfriend on a certain completely-free dating website, they moved in together in January and things are going great for them, so I'm sure you'll have success too :) You seem like far too cool a person to not have a bunch of men wanting to meet you!

melbourne dreaming said...

Thanks for the kind words, chickadees. Kylie, I'd love to hear about your online dating adventures! Good luck to you too, I hope you find a sweetie on the world wide webs :)

And Anna, thank you muchly! It's certainly a funny experience, which is somewhat enjoyable as long as you are feeling emotionally stable and able to cope with the inevitable rejections... which I am right now :)

lotsa love ladeez,

xxx

Dating Safaris said...

Hello Melbourne Dreaming! Loving your Blog...it's oh so true! :) If you ever venture off line I work for a company called Dating Safaris and we'd be happy to shout you a free pass for you and your girlfriends to see if the men are better in real life!! You can read about it here... www.datingsafaris.com good luck with the dating!!

Emma x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...